Re: Is translating server messages really worth it?

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, pgsql-translators(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is translating server messages really worth it?
Date: 2023-09-28 12:23:21
Lists: pgsql-translators

> On 27 Sep 2023, at 17:28, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org> wrote:

> One specific example of a thing I would like to avoid is that the --help output has a wild mix of translated and untranslated lines.

We clearly want to avoid that.

> Of course, this could be avoided by having the whole --help output as one translation catalog entry, which is exactly what we have not been doing, because that makes it harder to update between versions.

Could we group messages that have all-or-nothing translations required, like
--help output, with separate msgctxt contexts? So "pg_dump --help" would be
"msgctxt pg_dump_help_screen" in the po file, which then could be analyzed in
order to make the call for including translationfiles or not?

--
Daniel Gustafsson