Re: Is translating server messages really worth it?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgsql-translators(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is translating server messages really worth it?
Date: 2023-09-27 15:28:42
Lists: pgsql-translators

On 25.09.23 23:48, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> The 80% rule always struck me as odd. It might make sense if falling
> under the threshold meant that the translation was classified as a
> second tier translation, or whatever. But it's a binary pass/fail
> condition -- there are no reasonable gradations. A 79% complete
> translation that nobody really has access to is 100% useless.

At FOSDEM 2023 [0], I discussed the 80% rule with some other
translations projects (e.g., KDE), but no one else seems to have such a
system, so maybe it wasn't the right idea.

[0]: https://archive.fosdem.org/2023/schedule/track/translations/

One specific example of a thing I would like to avoid is that the --help
output has a wild mix of translated and untranslated lines.

Of course, this could be avoided by having the whole --help output as
one translation catalog entry, which is exactly what we have not been
doing, because that makes it harder to update between versions.

So I don't know ...