Re: Is translating server messages really worth it?

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: Pavlo Golub <pavlo(dot)golub(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-translators(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is translating server messages really worth it?
Date: 2023-09-27 07:51:54
Lists: pgsql-translators

> On 26 Sep 2023, at 22:17, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> Le mar. 26 sept. 2023 à 11:28, Pavlo Golub <pavlo(dot)golub(at)gmail(dot)com <mailto:pavlo(dot)golub(at)gmail(dot)com>> a écrit :

> Satisfying requirements
> It sounds bureaucratic; nevertheless, we need a fully translated product to pass some government, military, and education requirements. I've met a situation when a product lost tender only because it wasn't localized. And I don't need to remind which products are always localized and in good shape: mssql, oracle, etc.
>
> I don't believe we have this issue in France. At the very least, I've never heard about this in France. Having a french manual, yes. But French translation of server logs, I don't think so.

Interesting, I think we have the opposite. While not mandatory in Sweden I
believe "software available in Swedish" is a quite common constraint in
gov/council etc tenders (and unless there is a constraint on which messages it
applies to, it applies to all of the software but not the manual).

--
Daniel Gustafsson