Re: Is translating server messages really worth it?

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, pgsql-translators(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is translating server messages really worth it?
Date: 2023-10-04 07:38:35
Lists: pgsql-translators

Le mer. 27 sept. 2023 à 17:28, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org> a
écrit :

> On 25.09.23 23:48, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> > The 80% rule always struck me as odd. It might make sense if falling
> > under the threshold meant that the translation was classified as a
> > second tier translation, or whatever. But it's a binary pass/fail
> > condition -- there are no reasonable gradations. A 79% complete
> > translation that nobody really has access to is 100% useless.
>
> At FOSDEM 2023 [0], I discussed the 80% rule with some other
> translations projects (e.g., KDE), but no one else seems to have such a
> system, so maybe it wasn't the right idea.
>
> [0]: https://archive.fosdem.org/2023/schedule/track/translations/
>
> One specific example of a thing I would like to avoid is that the --help
> output has a wild mix of translated and untranslated lines.
>
> Of course, this could be avoided by having the whole --help output as
> one translation catalog entry, which is exactly what we have not been
> doing, because that makes it harder to update between versions.
>
> So I don't know ...

I do like the idea of publishing a translation only if there's enough
translated strings. That's the 80% rule. Of course, the "80" part is kind
of arbitrary but you need a number and 80 is probably as good/bad as
anything else (at least above 60).

--
Guillaume.