Re: pgsql: Check that we have a working tar before trying to use it

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Check that we have a working tar before trying to use it
Date: 2021-12-09 07:10:39
Lists: pgsql-committers

On Wed, Dec 08, 2021 at 10:49:28PM -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> Could you expand on why it doesn't work? As far as I can tell tar is shipped
> with windows these days, and %SYSTEMROOT%/system32/tar.exe should point to
> that tar?

FWIW, my Windows 10 VM, that I got from Microsoft a couple of years
ago, does not ship it in this location, simply, even after updates.

And I am pretty sure that you cannot assume that this will exist at
this location for all the Windows environments we still support the
compilation of PG. My thing runs Visual 2015 that we still support,
so, if possible, I'd like to keep it around a bit more as it is useful
to check and test incompatibilities and/or bug fixes, and it has
caught problems in the past. I got some copies of tar.exe lying
around, one from a git installation and a second one from Msys, but
both don't work even if $ENV{TAR} points at them :/
--
Michael