Re: pgsql: Check that we have a working tar before trying to use it

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Check that we have a working tar before trying to use it
Date: 2021-12-09 13:45:33
Lists: pgsql-committers

Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> writes:
> ... I got some copies of tar.exe lying
> around, one from a git installation and a second one from Msys, but
> both don't work even if $ENV{TAR} points at them :/

What goes wrong exactly?

The test I proposed ("tar cf foo.tar foo") doesn't seem like it
will catch the actual problem, which IIUC is that these tars
don't like a drive letter in the file name(s). Can we arrange
to strip that in what's passed to $TAR ? If not, it seems like
we have to test for exactly that point (ie Windows-only test).