Re: pgsql: Check that we have a working tar before trying to use it

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Check that we have a working tar before trying to use it
Date: 2021-12-09 07:25:04
Lists: pgsql-committers

Hi,

On 2021-12-09 16:10:39 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> FWIW, my Windows 10 VM, that I got from Microsoft a couple of years
> ago, does not ship it in this location, simply, even after updates.

That is odd - MS says it's available in all types of windows 10:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/community/team-blog/2017/20171219-tar-and-curl-come-to-windows

> And I am pretty sure that you cannot assume that this will exist at
> this location for all the Windows environments we still support the
> compilation of PG.

I don't think we need to. I think it's important to optimize the long-term
effort (i.e. everyone using git needing to set TAR) => having a default that
works going forward is important. Needing to configure tar on old windows
installations (when running tap tests), isn't a comparable long-term effort.

> My thing runs Visual 2015 that we still support, so, if possible, I'd like
> to keep it around a bit more as it is useful to check and test
> incompatibilities and/or bug fixes, and it has caught problems in the past.

IMO we should just drop support for that.

> I got some copies of tar.exe lying around, one from a git installation and a
> second one from Msys, but both don't work even if $ENV{TAR} points at them
> :/ -- Michael

Well, in that case what I'm suggesting doesn't even hurt...

Greetings,

Andres Freund