Re: Starting build-system work (Windows/Mac users please speak up)

From: Kartik Ohri <kartikohri13(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
Cc: pljava-dev(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Starting build-system work (Windows/Mac users please speak up)
Date: 2020-05-21 21:25:25
Lists: pljava-dev

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 5:04 PM Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net> wrote:

> On 05/21/20 02:48, Kartik Ohri wrote:
>
> > Should I add checks for a PostgreSQL version from each major version or
> > just for one from the latest major version and the oldest version
> supported
> > ? Like just test with 9.5 and 12.x .
>
> Each major version in the range, as there are often changes from every
> version to the next that require conditional compilation in PL/Java, and
> it is important to make sure that no recent PL/Java change broke any of
> those.
>
> (It is exactly here that CI promises to make the release process for
> PL/Java much less tedious and treacherous.)
>
> A reasonable timeline might be to get both endpoints covered first,
> and then fill in the middle.
>
> > Same question with Java versions. Is
> > testing with Java 9 and Java 14 (the latest java release) is enough ? Or
> > each of java versions in between Java 9 and 14 should be tested as well.
>
> Again, maybe endpoints first, and then middles. Without testing of
> middles, the odd javac bug that appeared in 10 and 11 and was fixed
> in 12 would have been a surprise. [1]
>
> Regards,
> -Chap
>

> [1] https://github.com/tada/pljava/commit/c763cee

Please see https://travis-ci.org/github/amCap1712/pljava/builds/689767027 .
I have written a script to add builds for combinations of major versions of
Java and PostgreSQL on macOS. But I think this is an overkill to for all
platforms (even for a single platform). Let me know your thoughts on this
and if any other additions are required to complete the macOS setup. After
this, I will add builds for Linux and at last for Windows.

Some of the build combinations fail intermittently but work just fine when
ran again. It seems to be an error on Travis CI side. I am investigating
the issue and am working to fix it.