Re: Starting build-system work (Windows/Mac users please speak up)

From: David Gradwell <david(at)gradwell(dot)com>
To: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>, Kartik Ohri <kartikohri13(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pljava-dev(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pljava-dev(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Starting build-system work (Windows/Mac users please speak up)
Date: 2020-05-21 12:20:47
Lists: pljava-dev

Chap,

I'm using Native Packaging (but which only works with Ant, not Maven) for applications I want to distribute widely. See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-4237?filter=-2. I have got Native packaging to work with Netbeans 12.0 beta4 as long as it runs with Java 1.8.

Separately, I'm using plJava to specify some server side functions in situations where I cannot get enough performance if I retrieve each column in each row one at a time ! I've built the latest plJava on my Mac OS X Catalina system for postgres 9.6 and 11. If anyone needs binaries let me know what to upload and where to.

Regards

David

On 21/05/2020, 12:47, "Chapman Flack" <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net> wrote:

On 05/21/20 04:14, David Gradwell wrote:
> I would include Java 1.8 (e.g. recent build such as jdk1.8.0_221.
>
> This is because some capabilities of NetBeans (e.g. Native packaging)
> still require running under Java 1.8.

Java 1.8 remains supported on the 1.5.x branch.

The still-gestating 1.6 branch represents a clean break requiring
Java 9 or later, to take advantage of Java 9 features like the Java
Platform Module System, VarHandles, etc.

To throw Kartik into the many-Java-versioned 1.5.x build configuration
would probably have violated the Geneva Convention. Hence the focus
on the 1.6 branch and its much simplified arrangements.

It would be interesting if you were to describe what you're doing with
NetBeans ... native-packaging PL/Java alone? PL/Java along with a
PL/Java application?

Although I do not intend to imminently abandon the 1.5.x branch, it
might be well to begin breathing on NetBeans concerning their support
for Java 9.

There is also a native-packaging feature in GraalVM that I have not
played with; it might be worth investigating.

Regards,
-Chap