Re: Starting build-system work (Windows/Mac users please speak up)

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: Kartik Ohri <kartikohri13(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pljava-dev(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Starting build-system work (Windows/Mac users please speak up)
Date: 2020-05-21 11:34:25
Lists: pljava-dev

On 05/21/20 02:48, Kartik Ohri wrote:

> Should I add checks for a PostgreSQL version from each major version or
> just for one from the latest major version and the oldest version supported
> ? Like just test with 9.5 and 12.x .

Each major version in the range, as there are often changes from every
version to the next that require conditional compilation in PL/Java, and
it is important to make sure that no recent PL/Java change broke any of
those.

(It is exactly here that CI promises to make the release process for
PL/Java much less tedious and treacherous.)

A reasonable timeline might be to get both endpoints covered first,
and then fill in the middle.

> Same question with Java versions. Is
> testing with Java 9 and Java 14 (the latest java release) is enough ? Or
> each of java versions in between Java 9 and 14 should be tested as well.

Again, maybe endpoints first, and then middles. Without testing of
middles, the odd javac bug that appeared in 10 and 11 and was fixed
in 12 would have been a surprise. [1]

Regards,
-Chap

[1] https://github.com/tada/pljava/commit/c763cee