Re: Starting build-system work (Windows/Mac users please speak up)

From: Kartik Ohri <kartikohri13(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
Cc: pljava-dev(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Starting build-system work (Windows/Mac users please speak up)
Date: 2020-05-21 06:48:40
Lists: pljava-dev

> == PostgreSQL versions to build for
>
> Also, the newer branch targets a narrower range of PostgreSQL versions.
> The obvious starting point would be the versions currently shown as
> 'supported' in the PostgreSQL versioning policy:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/ i.e., 12 back to 9.5.
>
> The branch may build successfully for a couple of versions before 9.5.
> I know the 'validator' PR knocked out pre-9.0 versions. When it comes
> time to announce PL/Java 1.6, we might choose to say it works back
> to PG 9.4, 9.3, or 9.2, if it works for those releases without extra fuss.
>
> 9.2 is a good stopping place, because the REL1_5_STABLE installation docs
> have an extra section for installing on pre-9.2 versions, and that could
> go away.

Should I add checks for a PostgreSQL version from each major version or
just for one from the latest major version and the oldest version supported
? Like just test with 9.5 and 12.x . Same question with Java versions. Is
testing with Java 9 and Java 14 (the latest java release) is enough ? Or
each of java versions in between Java 9 and 14 should be tested as well.