[Pljava-dev] Questions about pl/java

From: rakesh at sptci(dot)com (Rakesh Vidyadharan)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] Questions about pl/java
Date: 2006-04-05 12:18:28
Lists: pljava-dev

On 04-Apr-06, at 9:03 PM, Chris Hoover wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am new to pl/java and have some basic questions. But before the
> questions, a bit about my setup. We are in the process of
> migrating all of our databases from 7.3.4 to 8.1.1. When this is
> done, we will have all of our database servers on RH AS 4.0 with PG
> 8.1.1.
>
> 1. Is anyone using pl/java in this type of environment.
>
> 2. Is anyone using pl/java in a production environment? If so,
> how long have you been using it in production.

We have deployed an application entirely based upon PL/Java for
database access. Although the application was delivered 6 months ago
to our client (a group of educational institutions), it went into
production use only 3 months ago. So far, there has been no bug
reports related to PL/Java or database use.

> 3. Do the developers of pl/java consider it production quality?
>
> 4. Can the pl/java be used to communicate across databases?
>
> 5. How different is writing in pl/java versus writing application/
> web java programs?

The best part of PL/Java is that you can easily migrate your JDBC
code from your business logic to the database (PL/Java) or vice-versa.

Rakesh