[Pljava-dev] Questions about pl/java

From: revoohc at gmail(dot)com (Chris Hoover)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] Questions about pl/java
Date: 2006-04-05 02:03:22
Lists: pljava-dev

Hello,

I am new to pl/java and have some basic questions. But before the
questions, a bit about my setup. We are in the process of migrating all of
our databases from 7.3.4 to 8.1.1. When this is done, we will have all of
our database servers on RH AS 4.0 with PG 8.1.1.

1. Is anyone using pl/java in this type of environment.

2. Is anyone using pl/java in a production environment? If so, how long
have you been using it in production.

3. Do the developers of pl/java consider it production quality?

4. Can the pl/java be used to communicate across databases?

5. How different is writing in pl/java versus writing application/web java
programs?

6. Are the any limitations or major pluses on what pl/java can do versus
pl/pgsql?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I was told late today that I have a
meeting first thing in the morning to discuss implementing much of our
application logic inside our databases. While I personally love the idea, I
need to have all of the options on the table. Since we are a cobol and java
shop (don't ask :) ) I am looking at pl/pgsql or pl/java for the procedure
language. I can write code in pl/pgsql, but would require training the rest
of our shop. Obviously, I have people in the shop who are good java
programmers and could help spread the load.

Thanks so much for any information you can provide me. I am looking at the
documentation, but I am a small time crunch.

Chris