[Pljava-dev] Questions about pl/java

From: filip(dot)hrbek at plz(dot)comstar(dot)cz (Filip Hrbek)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] Questions about pl/java
Date: 2006-04-05 08:59:02
Lists: pljava-dev

Hi all,

I would like to put some comments to Chris's questions...

****
2. Is anyone using pl/java in a production environment? If so, how long
have you been using it in production.
****

Yes, we do. We have implemented a universal data warehouse based on
PostgreSQL and PL/Java. It has been running in a production environment for
about half a year, with no problems reported. I love this solution, becase
of all the reasons Thomas has already mentioned (complexity, easy
developement using IDE (Eclipse in our case) and many many more...)

> ## Limitations: ##
> ** Overly complex for very simple tasks
> Java code needs to be compiled, packaged in a jar file, and installed
> into the database. pgsql code is embedded in the function declaration.

Yes, this is true, but it can also be solved. Users of our data warehouse
can configure its behaviour by writing small pieces of Java code (plugins)
directly into the database. Once you install "tools.jar" into your database,
you can implement a database function (written in pl/java of course) for
compiling and installing Java procedures on-the-fly if you wish (the same
idea like Oracle Java Sources).

Filip

PS: Thomas, do you plan fixing the getTime() bug?