Re: Improve error message for ICU libraries if pkg-config is absent

From: Michael Banck <mbanck(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Holger Jakobs <holger(at)jakobs(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <jdavis(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Improve error message for ICU libraries if pkg-config is absent
Date: 2024-08-15 07:20:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 14, 2024 at 06:05:19PM -0700, Jeff Davis wrote:
> That looks good to me. Does anyone have a different opinion? If not,
> I'll go ahead and commit (but not backport) this change.

What is the rationale not to backpatch this? The error message changes,
but we do not translate configure output, so is this a problem/project
policy to never change configure output in the back-branches?

If the change is too invasive, would something like the initial patch I
suggested (i.e., in the absense of pkg-config, add a more targetted
error message) be acceptable for the back-branches?

Michael