Re: Improve error message for ICU libraries if pkg-config is absent

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
To: Michael Banck <mbanck(at)gmx(dot)net>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Holger Jakobs <holger(at)jakobs(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <jdavis(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Improve error message for ICU libraries if pkg-config is absent
Date: 2024-08-15 13:22:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 15.08.24 09:20, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 14, 2024 at 06:05:19PM -0700, Jeff Davis wrote:
>> That looks good to me. Does anyone have a different opinion? If not,
>> I'll go ahead and commit (but not backport) this change.
>
> What is the rationale not to backpatch this? The error message changes,
> but we do not translate configure output, so is this a problem/project
> policy to never change configure output in the back-branches?
>
> If the change is too invasive, would something like the initial patch I
> suggested (i.e., in the absense of pkg-config, add a more targetted
> error message) be acceptable for the back-branches?

But it's not just changing an error message, it's changing the logic
that leads to the error message. Have we really thought through all the
combinations here? I don't know. So committing for master and then
seeing if there is any further feedback seems most prudent.

(I'm not endorsing either patch version here, just commenting on the
process.)