Re: [HACKERS] RAW I/O device

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz (Karel Zak - Zakkr)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] RAW I/O device
Date: 1999-12-06 11:40:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Linux now exist project for raw I/O device
> (http://oss.sgi.com/projects/rawio/). Exist any plan (for far future)
> with raw device for PgSQL? (TODO be quiet for this.)

Up to now we kept the storage manager overhead in the system.
Actually there is no way to tell which storage manager to use
for a particular table/index, so anything goes to the default
which is the magnetic disk one that uses single files for
each relation.

There was a discussion about simplifying it, but the
consensus was to let it as is because it is the base for a
tablespace and/or raw device manager.

AFAIK, noone is working on it, so it must be really FAR
future. But the plan is still alive.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #