Re: [HACKERS] RAW I/O device

From: Karel Zak - Zakkr <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
To: Jan Wieck <wieck(at)debis(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] RAW I/O device
Date: 1999-12-06 12:47:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Jan Wieck wrote:

> > On Linux now exist project for raw I/O device
> > (http://oss.sgi.com/projects/rawio/). Exist any plan (for far future)
> > with raw device for PgSQL? (TODO be quiet for this.)
>
> Up to now we kept the storage manager overhead in the system.
> Actually there is no way to tell which storage manager to use
> for a particular table/index, so anything goes to the default
> which is the magnetic disk one that uses single files for
> each relation.
>
> There was a discussion about simplifying it, but the
> consensus was to let it as is because it is the base for a
> tablespace and/or raw device manager.
>
> AFAIK, noone is working on it, so it must be really FAR
> future. But the plan is still alive.

I raise the question, because the linux kernel opening with raw-device
new way for a faster and better database engine. I know (and agree)
that it not is priority for next year(s?). But it is interesting, and
is prabably good remember it during development, and not write (in future)
features which close this good way.

Karel