RE: [HACKERS] RAW I/O device

From: Horak Daniel <horak(at)sit(dot)plzen-city(dot)cz>
To: "'pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [HACKERS] RAW I/O device
Date: 1999-12-06 12:59:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > On Linux now exist project for raw I/O device
> > (http://oss.sgi.com/projects/rawio/). Exist any plan (for
> far future)
> > with raw device for PgSQL? (TODO be quiet for this.)
>
> Up to now we kept the storage manager overhead in the system.
> Actually there is no way to tell which storage manager to use
> for a particular table/index, so anything goes to the default
> which is the magnetic disk one that uses single files for
> each relation.
>
> There was a discussion about simplifying it, but the
> consensus was to let it as is because it is the base for a
> tablespace and/or raw device manager.
>
> AFAIK, noone is working on it, so it must be really FAR
> future. But the plan is still alive.

I have done some work in this area - mostly to recognize new keywords
(CREATE TABLESPACE ...) and I have also created a new storage manager, but I
have stopped it due the lack of free time ;-). I can send a patch for 6.5.1.

In my opinion, the main problem is with accessing shared system tables (like
pg_database) and to include a storage manager type into the tuples in
pg_database. But I think it is possible to solve this problems.

Dan