Re: [HACKERS] RAW I/O device

From: merlin(at)scl(dot)cwru(dot)edu
To: Jan Wieck <wieck(at)debis(dot)com>
Cc: Karel Zak - Zakkr <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] RAW I/O device
Date: 1999-12-06 13:03:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I may be out of place on this one, but remember that postgres runs on
other systems besides linux. Making the DB work w/ one FS (and write the
storage code for it) seems pointless if we are still stuck on normal FSs
on other machines.

- merlin

> > On Linux now exist project for raw I/O device
> > (http://oss.sgi.com/projects/rawio/). Exist any plan (for far future)
> > with raw device for PgSQL? (TODO be quiet for this.)
>
> Up to now we kept the storage manager overhead in the system.
> Actually there is no way to tell which storage manager to use
> for a particular table/index, so anything goes to the default
> which is the magnetic disk one that uses single files for
> each relation.
>
> There was a discussion about simplifying it, but the
> consensus was to let it as is because it is the base for a
> tablespace and/or raw device manager.
>
> AFAIK, noone is working on it, so it must be really FAR
> future. But the plan is still alive.

Smith Computer Lab Administrator, Case Western Reserve University
bap(at)scl(dot)cwru(dot)edu | 216.368.5066 | http://home.cwru.edu/~bap