Re: [HACKERS] Scripts again

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net (Peter Eisentraut)
Cc: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Scripts again
Date: 1999-10-13 21:32:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> 0 pgblah
> 3 1/2 pg_blah (Bruce, Sergio K, Dmitry S, -1/2 Thomas, myself)
> 1/2 pgadddb (Marc)
> 1 1/2 as is (Thomas, Vince)
> 1 none (Marc)
>
> Hmm, I guess that does it. pg_createdb and symlinks for one release with
> warnings for deprecated forms.

Make the whole thing configurable and anyone should be happy.

--pg_admin_script_prefix={pg_|pg|*empty*|*whatever_you_prefer*}
--pg_admin_script_install={yes|no}

It's not a joke. Someone might want to have his user account
to have access to his production and test DB at the same
time. So he could setup his PATH to both installations bin
directories and configure the test DB to use a different
default PGPORT and different script prefixes. Then
pg_createdb would contact another postmaster than
devel_createdb would do. Well, the installed binaries like
psql would need some configurable prefix too then.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #