Re: [HACKERS] Scripts again

From: Peter Eisentraut <e99re41(at)DoCS(dot)UU(dot)SE>
To: Jan Wieck <wieck(at)debis(dot)com>
Cc: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Scripts again
Date: 1999-10-14 11:10:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Jan Wieck wrote:

> Make the whole thing configurable and anyone should be happy.
>
> --pg_admin_script_prefix={pg_|pg|*empty*|*whatever_you_prefer*}
> --pg_admin_script_install={yes|no}

Way initially I was suggesting
--enable-scripts=old|new|both|none (default new)
but Bruce found *that* too complicated.

I can see your point here, accessing different db installations, but I
think that is a highly specialized case (and you should be using psql
anyway, but that seems to be a culture issue).

But the scripts have no concept of default ports etc., that's in libpq. So
you can use pg_createdb for whatever your default install is, and
pg_createdb -p foo for your alternate installation. Or you could alias
this or something.

(Btw., anyone else think a /etc/services entry is better than a hardwired
default port, at least on the libpq side of things? Of course, I'm not
sure about Windows here.)

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders vaeg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala