Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: kar(at)webline(dot)dk
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6
Date: 1999-06-08 09:46:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kaare Rasmussen wrote:

> > If there's (only one) Perl PROGRAMMER out in the world
> > reading this, who does see a (however small) possibility to
> > explain how to integrate a Perl interpreter into PostgreSQL,
> > RESPOND!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Well I'm a Perl programmer. I don't have a clue about how to integrate
> Perl into PostgreSQL, but it should be possible.
>
> I'd like to help. I know Perl, but nothing about the internals of
> PostgreSQL and I don't code C.

That's the point and why I wrote programmer in capitals (REAL
PROGRAMMERS STILL THINK AND TALK IN CAPITALS). It's not Perl
script-writing what's needed at this stage. We need
programmers that are familiar with the C API of Perl and
could easily write things like the Pg package. And that's
still not enough knowledge.

> > Maybe Perl isn't the scripting language someone should choose
> > because it is too limited in it's capabilities - remember
>
> Too limited? Perl? You're joking.

No, I wasn't joking. Up to now there's only one person who
said that what we need is possible, but it wouldn't be as
easy as it should be. I didn't talked about how powerful the
Perl language is. And I know that it's easy to integrate
anything into Perl. But after all, it's a Perl script that
has the entire control.

This time, the Perl interpreter has to become a silly little
working slave. Beeing quiet until it's called and quiet
again after having served one function call until the big
master PostgreSQL calls him again.

This flexibility requires a real good design of the
interpreters internals. And that's what I'm addressing here.

> > that real programmers don't use pascal... - maybe real
> > programmer wouldn't ever use Perl...
>
> Then I'm no real programmer. But then again I program in any language
> that is needed.

You aren't - you're a script writer and that's a today quiche
eater :-)

The term "Real Programmer" is something any hacker should
know!

Top of the article "Real Programmers Don't Use Pascal":

<<Back in the good old days -- the "Golden Era" of computers,
it was easy to separate the men from the boys (sometimes
called "Real Men" and "Quiche Eaters" in the literature).
During this period, the Real Men were the ones that
understood computer programming, and the Quiche Eaters were
the ones that didn't. ...>>

Take a look at

http://burks.bton.ac.uk/burks/foldoc/33/86.htm

and follow the links - enjoy.