Re: [HACKERS] PL/Lang (was: Priorities for 6.6)

From: Oleg Broytmann <phd(at)emerald(dot)netskate(dot)ru>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PL/Lang (was: Priorities for 6.6)
Date: 1999-06-08 10:40:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello!

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Jan Wieck wrote:
> This time, the Perl interpreter has to become a silly little
> working slave. Beeing quiet until it's called and quiet
> again after having served one function call until the big
> master PostgreSQL calls him again.
>
> This flexibility requires a real good design of the
> interpreters internals. And that's what I'm addressing here.

I know exactly 1 (one) program that incorporate (embed) Perl interpreter
- it is editor VIM (well-known vi-clone from www.vim.org). I think anyone
who want to learn how to embed perl may start looking int vim sources.
Once I tried to compile vim+perl myself, but perl didn't work. I am
perl-hater, so this probably was the reason.
Anothe example - mod_perl for Apache - is rather bad example, as
mod_perl is too big, overcomplicated and too perlish :)

VIM can also be compiled with builtin Python interpreter, and I had no
problem compilng and using vim+python. Python is well known for its
extending and embedding capabilities. mod_python (it is called PyApache) is
small and elegant example of how to embed python, but of course it is not
as powerful as mod_perl (one cannot touch Apache internals from mod_python,
though author lead PyApache development this way).
Yes, I am biased toward Python, but I cannot say "I recommend embed
Python to construct PL/Python" - I have no time to lead the development,
and I doubt there are many pythoners here (D'Arcy?).

> Jan
>
> --

> # It's easier to get forgiveness for being wrong than for being right. #
> # Let's break this rule - forgive me. #

Oleg.
----
Oleg Broytmann http://members.xoom.com/phd2/ phd2(at)earthling(dot)net