Re: French translation typos

From: SAS <sas(dot)postgresql(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-translators(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: French translation typos
Date: 2021-05-28 10:18:55
Lists: pgsql-translators

Le 28/05/2021 à 08:19, Thomas Munro a écrit :
> On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 5:00 PM Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Your skills are impressive!
> I was lucky enough to spend some time working in Paris about a million
> years ago... I probably haven't retained much, just a paranoid
> hypervigilance about all those silent letters. I recall proudly
> buying a special en<->fr dictionary of computer terminology that
> someone had gone to great effort to invent to avoid the scourge of
> Anglicisms, but it turned out that nobody had ever heard of any of the
> made up words in it, so people would just look confused or laugh.
> Which reminds me, one thing I noticed is that we use multiple
> translations for certain key concepts that have more consistent
> wording in the English messages (examples: grantor -> concédant,
> donneur de droits, donateur; deadlock -> interblocage, verrous
> bloqués, verrou mortel; to violate a constraint -> violer, rompre,
> transgresser). But I really should leave that to the experts, I have
> no idea what sounds best, I'll shut up and go back to C.

Hello,

I'm also impressed by all the typos you noticed. I wish I could have such an
eagle eye on foreign languages, too, but, hey, it seems I have lessons to learn
in French too :-)

But I just wanted to say I fully agree when you say English wording is usually
more consistent, and often more understandable than what we could say in French
(sometimes we have to write a complete sentence to translate a single word).
And I must confess I still prefer the original version (despite the fact that I
tried for some times to help on translating into French, because,  you know,
French people read French documentation).

Best,

Stéphane

--
Dr Stéphane Schildknecht
Contact régional PostgreSQL pour l'Europe francophone