Re: French translation typos

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-translators(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: French translation typos
Date: 2021-05-28 06:19:27
Lists: pgsql-translators

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 5:00 PM Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Your skills are impressive!

I was lucky enough to spend some time working in Paris about a million
years ago... I probably haven't retained much, just a paranoid
hypervigilance about all those silent letters. I recall proudly
buying a special en<->fr dictionary of computer terminology that
someone had gone to great effort to invent to avoid the scourge of
Anglicisms, but it turned out that nobody had ever heard of any of the
made up words in it, so people would just look confused or laugh.
Which reminds me, one thing I noticed is that we use multiple
translations for certain key concepts that have more consistent
wording in the English messages (examples: grantor -> concédant,
donneur de droits, donateur; deadlock -> interblocage, verrous
bloqués, verrou mortel; to violate a constraint -> violer, rompre,
transgresser). But I really should leave that to the experts, I have
no idea what sounds best, I'll shut up and go back to C.