Re: Official devcontainer config

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Junwang Zhao <zhjwpku(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Andrey Borodin <amborodin86(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>
Subject: Re: Official devcontainer config
Date: 2024-08-02 18:45:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01.08.24 23:38, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Not totally opposed, and I will probably give it a try very soon, but
> I'm wondering if this really needs to go in the core repo. We've
> generally shied away from doing much in the way of editor / devenv
> support, trying to be fairly agnostic. It's true we carry .dir-locals.el
> and .editorconfig, so that's not entirely true, but those are really
> just about supporting our indentation etc. standards.

Yeah, the editor support in the tree ought to be minimal and factual,
based on coding standards and widely recognized best practices, not a
collection of one person's favorite aliases and scripts. If the scripts
are good, let's look at them and maybe put them under src/tools/ for
everyone to use. But a lot of this looks like it will requite active
maintenance if output formats or node formats or build targets etc.
change. And other things require specific local paths. That's fine for
a local script or something, but not for a mainline tool that the
community will need to maintain.

I suggest to start with a very minimal configuration. What are the
settings that absolute everyone will need, maybe to set indentation
style or something.