Re: Official devcontainer config

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Junwang Zhao <zhjwpku(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Andrey Borodin <amborodin86(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>
Subject: Re: Official devcontainer config
Date: 2024-08-03 11:30:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2024-08-02 Fr 2:45 PM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 01.08.24 23:38, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> Not totally opposed, and I will probably give it a try very soon, but
>> I'm wondering if this really needs to go in the core repo. We've
>> generally shied away from doing much in the way of editor / devenv
>> support, trying to be fairly agnostic. It's true we carry
>> .dir-locals.el and .editorconfig, so that's not entirely true, but
>> those are really just about supporting our indentation etc. standards.
>
> Yeah, the editor support in the tree ought to be minimal and factual,
> based on coding standards and widely recognized best practices, not a
> collection of one person's favorite aliases and scripts.  If the
> scripts are good, let's look at them and maybe put them under
> src/tools/ for everyone to use.  But a lot of this looks like it will
> requite active maintenance if output formats or node formats or build
> targets etc. change.  And other things require specific local paths.
> That's fine for a local script or something, but not for a mainline
> tool that the community will need to maintain.
>
> I suggest to start with a very minimal configuration. What are the
> settings that absolute everyone will need, maybe to set indentation
> style or something.

I believe you can get VS Code to support editorconfig, so from that POV
maybe we don't need to do anything.

I did try yesterday with the code from the OP's patch symlinked into my
repo, but got an error with the Docker build, which kinda reinforces
your point.

Your point about "one person's preferences" is well taken - some of the
git aliases supplied  clash with mine.

cheers

andrew

--