Re: [Pljava-dev] Draft release notes in preparation for 1.5.1-BETA1

From: Achilleas Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [Pljava-dev] Draft release notes in preparation for 1.5.1-BETA1
Date: 2017-06-20 14:14:21
Lists: pljava-dev

On 20/06/2017 16:35, Chapman Flack wrote:
> On 06/20/2017 09:08 AM, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
>> Thanx for the update. So what do you recommend for our case? By the time
>> we move to 10 (might be one year from now), just try to re-install the
>> corresponding latest stable version of pl/java?
> I would recommend going to PL/Java 1.5.1 once it reaches full
> (not beta) release, irrespective of when you plan to upgrade
> PostgreSQL. Then you'll be running the latest official release,
> and when you do later upgrade PostgreSQL, PL/Java will need no
> extra attention. (As a bonus, PL/Java 1.5.1 plays well with
> pg_upgrade, so you can binary-upgrade the cluster when the time
> comes.)
Thank you, for the moment it is just a function which happens to run correctly. So no worries I hope. If we run to problems then I'll consider doing this. We got hit by a timestamptz issue which was
such a PITA to reproduce outside the function (java standalone was OK, psql was OK, pljava from psql was OK, combination of jboss/pgsql/function gave wrong offset for the EET time zone) that I am
terrified on the idea of any change.
> Moving to 1.5.1 from 1.6.0-SNAPSHOT might look like a 'downgrade',
> but should be fairly straightforward to do, as the 1.6.0-SNAPSHOT
> line has not made any incompatible schema changes (yet).
>
> Did you install with CREATE EXTENSION, or a plain LOAD?
With CREATE EXTENSION. But the maven build was done manually from source. It was some work to get rid of the old installation/schema of the previous pljava-snapshot.20120525 . Had to run
src/pljava-snapshot.20120525.0/src/sql/uninstall.sql and also scrap all settings inside postgresql.conf .