Re: [Pljava-dev] Draft release notes in preparation for 1.5.1-BETA1

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [Pljava-dev] Draft release notes in preparation for 1.5.1-BETA1
Date: 2017-06-20 14:41:55
Lists: pljava-dev

On 06/20/2017 10:14 AM, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
> We got hit by a timestamptz issue which was such a
> PITA to reproduce outside the function (java standalone was OK, psql was
> OK, pljava from psql was OK, combination of jboss/pgsql/function gave
> wrong offset for the EET time zone) that I am terrified on the idea of
> any change.

Can you recollect any more details of that? That could be interesting
to look into. How was it resolved?

I don't believe there's any change in timestamptz implementation
between current REL1_5_STABLE and master.

If you're able to code up a quick test for the problem you were
having, it's eminently possible to begin a read-write transaction,
load a different PL/Java version, and run your test. If you don't
like what you see, roll back the transaction. :)

> It was some work to get rid of the old installation/schema of
> the previous pljava-snapshot.20120525 . Had to run
> src/pljava-snapshot.20120525.0/src/sql/uninstall.sql and also scrap all
> settings inside postgresql.conf .

When was this, just last January? It should have been easier ...
1.5.0 introduced (and 1.6... also has) automated schema migration.
It would have made sense to take unnecessary settings out of
postgresql.conf, either keeping the necessary ones there, or
moving them to ALTER DATABASE ... SET ..., but there should have
been no need to uninstall a version from 20120525. The auto
migration understands old schemas back to 1.3.0's, from 2006.

Did you try it, and have something go wrong? Do you remember what?

-Chap