Re: pg_dump why no indicator of completion

From: Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump why no indicator of completion
Date: 2023-05-01 14:40:32
Lists: pgsql-admin

I backup some databases every night using pg_dump.  From a bash script
initiated by cron, the way God intended them to be run.  And I check the
return code, like every good production shell script should.

I back up other databases using pgBackRest (also from a bash script
initiated by cron, the way God intended them to be run).  And I check the
return code, like every good production shell script should (even though it
prints a message saying "Finished").

Because who in their right mind manually checks log files every morning,
when a shell script will gladly email you if something went wrong? *Make the
computer work for you!!!*