Re: pg_dump why no indicator of completion

From: richard coleman <rcoleman(dot)ascentgl(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump why no indicator of completion
Date: 2023-05-01 14:31:11
Lists: pgsql-admin

Ron,

That seems to be a very odd stance. PostgreSQL and it's various utilities
are and have been used in very large commercial operations for decades.
pg_dump successfully backs up databases from 1MB to 10TB and beyond. The
only issue I am having is for some inexplicable reason the devs haven't
included a status message upon completion.

If you don't think that pg_dump is fit for purpose, then what do you
propose using in its stead?

thanks,
rik.