Re: Mailing List Etiquette FAQ

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2022-11-21 15:46:07
Lists: pgsql-www

On 11/21/22 10:42 AM, Joe Conway wrote:
> (undoubtedly this has come up before, but top of
>  mind for me today)
>
> On the oft cited wiki page here:
>
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists
>
> we link to the "Mailing List Etiquette FAQ" here:
>
> https://web.archive.org/web/20170426175120/http://www.gweep.ca/~edmonds/usenet/ml-etiquette.html
>
> While using web.archive.org certainly works (although it did time out on
> my first attempt), should we try to get permission to just create our
> own copy of it?
>
> The domain itself (http://www.gweep.ca/) is still in use but gives the
> default lighttpd splash page.
>
> I cannot tell is the author is still around (twitter account inactive
> since ~2010, no other activity that I could find with a quick search).

+1; there are some things in it we would likely want to modify as well
(e.g. exact troubleshooting contact info) so having permission would be
good.

The author did provide an email to reach out to request permission, so
we can try that.

If the author does not reply, we can say we made a best effort, host our
own copy while linking back to the original on archive.org.

Thanks,

Jonathan