Re: BUG #18553: Please seriously address the severe issue of database installation failures on Windows 10.

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pinsaxy(at)gmail(dot)com" <pinsaxy(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #18553: Please seriously address the severe issue of database installation failures on Windows 10.
Date: 2024-07-26 14:04:16
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 2024-07-26 Fr 9:32 AM, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Thursday, July 25, 2024, PG Bug reporting form
> <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:

> Bug reference:      18553
> Logged by:          Yan Chen
> Email address: pinsaxy(at)gmail(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 16.3
> Operating system:   Windows 10
>
> The first step for customers using PostgreSQL is installation.
> However, due
> to potential user permission issues with PostgreSQL, the
> installation always
> fails at the database creation step. During the installation
> process, a
> dialog box pops up saying: Problem running post-install step,
> Installation
> may not complete correctly. Failed to start the database server. After
> installation, the data directory is empty.
>
> I believe that a dedicated software company should not ignore
> installation
> issues. I am extremely angry about this and have registered an account
> specifically to express my dissatisfaction with you!
>

> Didn’t even know there was an issue until you tell us.  And still
> don’t know what that issue is because you have not provided sufficient
> details.  There are many ways to get community assistance with
> installation and debugging, though this bug report forum isn’t one of
> them, but maybe the third-party installation provider EDB will chime
> in with more helpful comments anyway.  In the meantime, if you’d like
> to do more than vent I’d suggest following the instructions on the
> installer/s website:
> https://www.enterprisedb.com/docs/supported-open-source/postgresql/troubleshooting/

Let me add a couple of things. First, the PostgreSQL community is not a
software company. It doesn't sell anything, and you haven't bought
anything from it. Expressing anger isn't really appropriate here, no
matter how frustrated you are.

Second, while I work for EDB, which produces the installers for Windows,
I am not responsible for the installers. However, I did just install the
latest release on my Windows 10 machine without a hitch. So this isn't a
universal problem, at least.

Note that the download page says that the while the releases will
generally work on desktop editions of Windows, we test on various server
editions, see <https://www.postgresql.org/download/windows/>

cheers

andrew

--