Re: BUG #18553: Please seriously address the severe issue of database installation failures on Windows 10.

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pinsaxy(at)gmail(dot)com" <pinsaxy(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #18553: Please seriously address the severe issue of database installation failures on Windows 10.
Date: 2024-07-26 13:32:49
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thursday, July 25, 2024, PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
wrote:

> Bug reference: 18553
> Logged by: Yan Chen
> Email address: pinsaxy(at)gmail(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 16.3
> Operating system: Windows 10
>
> The first step for customers using PostgreSQL is installation. However, due
> to potential user permission issues with PostgreSQL, the installation
> always
> fails at the database creation step. During the installation process, a
> dialog box pops up saying: Problem running post-install step, Installation
> may not complete correctly. Failed to start the database server. After
> installation, the data directory is empty.
>
> I believe that a dedicated software company should not ignore installation
> issues. I am extremely angry about this and have registered an account
> specifically to express my dissatisfaction with you!

Didn’t even know there was an issue until you tell us. And still don’t
know what that issue is because you have not provided sufficient details.
There are many ways to get community assistance with installation and
debugging, though this bug report forum isn’t one of them, but maybe the
third-party installation provider EDB will chime in with more helpful
comments anyway. In the meantime, if you’d like to do more than vent I’d
suggest following the instructions on the installer/s website:
https://www.enterprisedb.com/docs/supported-open-source/postgresql/troubleshooting/

David J.