Re: Minor cleanups in the SSL tests

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Minor cleanups in the SSL tests
Date: 2024-05-16 09:43:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 16.05.24 09:24, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> When writing a new SSL test for another patch it struck me that the SSL tests
> are doing configuration management without using the test framework API's. The
> attached patches cleans this up, no testcases are altered as part of this.
>
> 0001 makes the test for PG_TEST_EXTRA a top-level if statement not attached to
> any other conditional. There is no change in functionality, it's mainly for
> readability (PG_TEST_EXTRA is it's own concept, not tied to library presence).

Makes sense to me.

> 0002 ports over editing configfiles to using append_conf() instead of opening
> and writing to them directly.

Yes, it's probably preferable to use append_conf() here. You might want
to run your patch through pgperltidy. The result doesn't look bad, but
a bit different than what you had crafted.

append_conf() opens and closes the file for each call. It might be nice
if it could accept a list. Or you can just pass the whole block as one
string, like it was done for pg_ident.conf before.