Re: pg_upgrade check for invalid databases

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Thomas Krennwallner <tk(at)postsubmeta(dot)net>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade check for invalid databases
Date: 2024-10-14 16:57:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Oct 13, 2024 at 08:28:57AM -0400, Thomas Krennwallner wrote:
> In v2 I've made changes to the patch incorporating the suggestions here:
>
> * Default behaviour is to just fail with a report of all invalid databases
>
> * A new option --skip-invalid-databases will then skip the checks, and
> would not transfer any invalid database to the new cluster. A warning
> with a report file will then follow after a successful run.
>
> Dropping invalid databases in the old cluster will make invalid
> databases unrecoverable, so I opted for a skip over invalid databases
> approach that would leave invalid databases in the old cluster.
>
> Apart from a missing --skip-invalid-databases test, does this attempt look OK?

I don't think there is enough demand for the feature of skipping invalid
databases because we have gotten few reports of such problems, and also
because your case is related to an external tool causing this problem.

What might be acceptable would be to add an option that would make
pg_upgrade more tolerant of problems in many areas, that is a lot more
research and discussion.

EDB https://enterprisedb.com

When a patient asks the doctor, "Am I going to die?", he means
"Am I going to die soon?"