Re: vip-manager and vip-manager2 FTBFS

From: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
To: Bradford Boyle <bradford(dot)d(dot)boyle(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-pkg-debian(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: vip-manager and vip-manager2 FTBFS
Date: 2024-08-16 09:53:52
Lists: pgsql-pkg-debian

Re: Bradford Boyle
> I suppose we could also just disable vip-manager2 for any distribution
> besides sid and trixie but I don't have a sense of how popular this
> package is and if that is a viable solution for this particular package.
>
> Before updating these packages, I wanted to see if there was any input
> on how to handle these packages on older distributions.

etcd is often run independently on the network, so might be a version
unrelated to the local OS. Supporting v1 and v2 APIs in parallel make
sense to some degree.

And then there's the problem of different etcd-client module versions
on top. I was talking to Pavlo about this yesterday and he suggested
"go replace":
https://thewebivore.com/using-replace-in-go-mod-to-point-to-your-local-module/
But I think this solves a different problem than we have.

The way to go is probably still patches for the respective etcd-client
versions, and enabling them in debian/patches/series from
generate-pgdg-source depending on the distribution targeted.

Or we might try "go get" on that module if a distribution other than
sid/testing is being built. (Unsure how to best hook that into the
build process, possibly via logic in debian/rules.)

Christoph