vip-manager and vip-manager2 FTBFS

From: Bradford Boyle <bradford(dot)d(dot)boyle(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-pkg-debian(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: vip-manager and vip-manager2 FTBFS
Date: 2024-08-12 06:34:14
Lists: pgsql-pkg-debian

Hi All,

The package golang-etcd-server-dev was updated from 3.4.30 to to 3.5.15
at the end of July. This version of etcd introduced a couple of changes
to import paths that caused vip-manager and vip-manager2 to FTBFS in sid
[1, 2]. I've prepared patches for both packages to update the import
paths [3, 4]. With these patches, both packages build on sid and
autopkgtests pass.

However, bookworm has etcd 3.4.23 and noble has 3.4.30 so the patches
break the build on older distributions. I don't believe this is an issue
for vip-manager since this pakcage provides vip-manager 1.x which hasn't
had a new release since 2022. vip-manager2 has had a release as recently
as three weeks ago. If we want to build updated packages of vip-manager2
for both bookworm and trixie on pgdg, we would need to apply different
patches for etcd 3.4 and 3.5.

I suppose we could also just disable vip-manager2 for any distribution
besides sid and trixie but I don't have a sense of how popular this
package is and if that is a viable solution for this particular package.

Before updating these packages, I wanted to see if there was any input
on how to handle these packages on older distributions.

Thanks,
-- Bradford

[1]: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1078322
[2]: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1078323