Re: PostGIS files for PG17-b2

From: Greg Smith <greg(dot)smith(at)crunchydata(dot)com>
To: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, Greg Smith <greg(dot)smith(at)crunchydata(dot)com>, pgsql-pkg-debian(at)postgresql(dot)org, Paul Ramsey <paul(dot)ramsey(at)crunchydata(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PostGIS files for PG17-b2
Date: 2024-08-10 20:46:24
Lists: pgsql-pkg-debian

On Mon, Jul 1, 2024 at 12:16 PM Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org> wrote:

> PostGIS doesn't work with 17 yet:
>
> https://pgdgbuild.dus.dg-i.net/job/postgis-binaries-beta/93/architecture=amd64,distribution=sid/console

Since this hasn't moved yet as of beta3, I dug in. PostGIS is focused on
getting PG17 well supported in their 3.5 release, currently in alpha
testing, and that's probably why this rough edge has lingered around 3.4
for so long.

On the error log there's a pair of basic compiler issues and then a few
regression tests are failing. Paul Ramsey dug in for me and has fixed the
compiler problem:
https://github.com/postgis/postgis/commit/0a8072199200a8323b5ddcfdcb89ed01dbd5f6b1

We're not 100% sure that will fix all the regression issues, but all seems
solved in his local build. He tells me it's not unusual for those
particular tests to require per-version tweaks if there's still something
off. I gave up on trying to build everything myself to check when I
realized postgis_3.4.2+dfsg-1.pgdg+2.dsc doesn't even have PG17 listed yet.

If it takes a full release of the upstream 3.4 PostGIS branch to replace
the sid 3.4.2 that's not building, we can ask Paul R to lean on speeding up
the next point rel. I can't tell if that's the easiest way to navigate
this through the Debian stable process, or if this is going to be a PGDG
source change no matter. Baton passed to you!

--
Greg Smith greg(dot)smith(at)crunchydata(dot)com
Director of Open Source Strategy