Re: BDR that performs

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: "Smith, Travis" <Travis(dot)Smith(at)circana(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BDR that performs
Date: 2024-06-14 12:35:49
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Fri, Jun 14, 2024 at 12:08:51PM +0000, Smith, Travis wrote:
> Hello Beautiful People,
>

> I have a question regarding a good performing BDR system for Postgres. I am
> currently evaluating/prototyping a primary-primary/master-master replication
> system. I have a question around the experience held by the community at
> large. Has anyone worked in a production environment with a solid BDR
> platform that performs well? I am currently testing SymmetricDS but I am
> worried about a few things although the feature set is salivating.
>

> Any hints to other software would be great, the organization has budget cap to
> bring a talented consultant or consultant firm in to fulfill an advisory role.
>
> So far I have reviewed:
>
> Greenplum -- always lagging in version
>
> PG 16 logical replication – very basic – manual conflict resolution.
>
> SymmetricDS – trigger based replication
>
> EDB BDR (PGD) – not an option at this time

Well, I think you have the right data above. There isn't much demand
for multi-master in the community because the usefulness of it is
limited; see:

https://momjian.us/main/blogs/pgblog/2018.html#December_24_2018

We are working on expanding logical replication to handle DDL changes
and conflicts, but that work is a few years away from completion.

EDB https://enterprisedb.com