Re: add --no-sync to pg_upgrade's calls to pg_dump and pg_dumpall

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: add --no-sync to pg_upgrade's calls to pg_dump and pg_dumpall
Date: 2024-05-09 00:03:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, May 08, 2024 at 02:49:58PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> Thanks for looking. I noticed that the version check is unnecessary since
>> we always use the new binary's pg_dump[all], so I removed that in v2.
>
> +1

+1. Could there be an argument in favor of a backpatch? This is a
performance improvement, but one could also side that the addition of
sync support in pg_dump[all] has made that a regression that we'd
better fix because the flushes don't matter in this context. They
also bring costs for no gain.
--
Michael