Re: How to keep pg_largeobject from growing endlessly

From: Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas(at)visena(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to keep pg_largeobject from growing endlessly
Date: 2015-04-15 08:49:01
Lists: pgsql-general

På onsdag 15. april 2015 kl. 04:43:47, skrev Venkata Balaji N <nag1010(at)gmail(dot)com
<mailto:nag1010(at)gmail(dot)com>>:   I'm routinely vacuumlo'ing to reap orphan OIDs.
Is it necessary to manually vacuum pg_largobject or is it handled by autovacuum?
    It is handled by autovacuum. What we do is, we schedule a manual VACUUM
ANALYZE nightly job on bigger tables to avoid burden on the autovacuum during
the business time.     In a system where large objects are constantly added
(and *some* rarely deleted, so it grows every day), would I gain space (freed
to the OS) by VACUUM FULL it?     The amount of reclaimed space will depend on
the volume of deletions happening. If the DELETES are rare and are not deleting
much, then frequent VACUUM FULL is not ideal.   In other words: Does vacuumlo
cause diskspace used by pg_largeobject to be freed to the OS (after eventually
vacuumed by autovacuum)?   Thanks.   -- Andreas Joseph Krogh CTO / Partner -
Visena AS Mobile: +47 909 56 963 andreas(at)visena(dot)com <mailto:andreas(at)visena(dot)com>
www.visena.com <https://www.visena.com> <https://www.visena.com>