Re: How to keep pg_largeobject from growing endlessly

From: Adam Hooper <adam(at)adamhooper(dot)com>
To: Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas(at)visena(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to keep pg_largeobject from growing endlessly
Date: 2015-04-15 13:50:36
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 4:49 AM, Andreas Joseph Krogh
<andreas(at)visena(dot)com> wrote:

> In other words: Does vacuumlo cause diskspace used by pg_largeobject to be freed to the OS (after eventually vacuumed by autovacuum)?

No.

But that shouldn't matter in your scenario: if you create more large
objects than you delete, you aren't wasting space anyway.

A longer-term problem that may apply in your scenario: pg_largeobject
can't grow beyond your tablespace's disk size. Unlike other tables,
it's very hard to move pg_largeobject to a new database/tablespace
without downtime. If your table is constantly growing and you're
worrying about how much space it's taking, other storage strategies
(bytea, S3, NFS, etc) might inspire more confidence. I had this
problem a few months ago; since then, I only use pg_largeobject in
prototyping and low-growth situations.
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAMWjz6GF9TM+vWM_0ymQYPi4Xk_bv2nYaREMWR1EcsqBS404vw@mail.gmail.com

Enjoy life,
Adam