Re: How to keep pg_largeobject from growing endlessly

From: Venkata Balaji N <nag1010(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas(at)visena(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to keep pg_largeobject from growing endlessly
Date: 2015-04-15 02:43:47
Lists: pgsql-general

> I'm routinely vacuumlo'ing to reap orphan OIDs. Is it necessary to
> manually vacuum pg_largobject or is it handled by autovacuum?

It is handled by autovacuum. What we do is, we schedule a manual VACUUM
ANALYZE nightly job on bigger tables to avoid burden on the autovacuum
during the business time.

In a system where large objects are constantly added (and *some* rarely
> deleted, so it grows every day), would I gain space (freed to the OS) by
> VACUUM FULL it?

The amount of reclaimed space will depend on the volume of deletions
happening. If the DELETES are rare and are not deleting much, then frequent
VACUUM FULL is not ideal.

Regards,
Venkata Balaji N

Fujitsu Australia