Re: Where does vacuum FULL write temp-files?

From: Venkata Balaji N <nag1010(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas(at)visena(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Where does vacuum FULL write temp-files?
Date: 2015-04-15 02:34:31
Lists: pgsql-general

> I'm planning to vacuum FULL a pg_largeobject relation (after vacuumlo'ing
> it). The relation is 300GB large so I'm concerned the operation will write
> full my pg_xlog directory which is on a 200GB (net) RAID1 SSD.
>
> Where does vacuum FULL rewrite to, does it use pg_xlog or some other
> directory?

Which version of PostgreSQL is this ?

If i got your question correctly, VACUUM FULL would rewrite the data to a
new data file associated with that particular relation (Table) in the
"$PGDATA/base" directory. This needs an extra disk space at the OS level
(this is not related to pg_xlog directory).

As VACUUMING is a data change operation, "pg_xlog" will also have only the
WAL data (modifications) written at the time of VACUUMING.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/sql-vacuum.html

Regards,
Venkata Balaji N

Fujitsu Australia