Re: automatic insert of next sequence value?

From: <bmccoy(at)chapelperilous(dot)net>
To: J B Bell <jbbell(at)intergate(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: automatic insert of next sequence value?
Date: 2000-10-12 17:25:48
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, J B Bell wrote:

> I've recently started with pgsql after having used mysql. Oddly, a problem
> the latter seems to have followed me.
>
> When I set up a field with a default value to use a sequence (with "nextval"),
> It doesn't work automatically. Both using DBI and the pgsql cli, if I do
>
> INSERT INTO foo VALUES (NULL);
>
> or
>
> INSERT INTO foo VALUES ('');
>
> I get an error or null is inserted in the first case, if the field is set
> non-null, or a 0 in the second case.

It should auto-increment if you don't specify the field at all:

create sequence myseq;

create table mytable (
id int4 PRIMARY KEY default nextval('myseq'),
descr text
);

insert into mytable(descr) values ('some text');

Brett W. McCoy
http://www.chapelperilous.net
Is a tattoo real, like a curb or a battleship? Or are we suffering in Safeway?