automatic insert of next sequence value?

From: J B Bell <jbbell(at)intergate(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: automatic insert of next sequence value?
Date: 2000-10-12 10:11:25
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I've recently started with pgsql after having used mysql. Oddly, a problem
the latter seems to have followed me.

When I set up a field with a default value to use a sequence (with "nextval"),
It doesn't work automatically. Both using DBI and the pgsql cli, if I do

INSERT INTO foo VALUES (NULL);

or

INSERT INTO foo VALUES ('');

I get an error or null is inserted in the first case, if the field is set
non-null, or a 0 in the second case.

Of course without this, a good part of the convenince of auto-incrementing is
defeated. I can work around it by looking up the appropriate value, but then
I need to do locking as well, which is likely slower and definitely more
annoying.

Is there some settable option that determines what will cause a default value
to be inserted? Is this a compile-time option of some sort? I've been
searching around for a couple of weeks on this, with no luck in the docs. I
would be very grateful for any assistance.

--JB

J B Bell | /~\
Systems Administrator | ASCII \ / Against
Internet Gateway | Ribbon X HTML