Re: SAP DB: The unsung Open Source DB

From: "Vernon Smith" <vwu98034(at)lycos(dot)com>
To: "Ned Lilly" <ned(at)nedscape(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Richard Huxton" <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Subject: Re: SAP DB: The unsung Open Source DB
Date: 2003-07-24 17:44:39
Lists: pgsql-general

The following statements is based on your own experience or
not?

>That's fine, but my understanding of SAP DB's failure to attract a large
>community was that:
> - it had a lot of competition (MySQL/PG/Firebird...)

It is true that there are quite some open source free DBs out there. They, however, are for different people, or types of applications. If you are a PG guy, you may not be too keen on MySQL.

> - it was tricky to compile/install

What I know is the opposite. SAP DB is very easy to install, at least on Windows.

> - the codebase was far from easy to get to grips with

Since I don't know this, I won't say anything about it.