Re: glibc updarte 2.31 to 2.38

From: Paul Foerster <paul(dot)foerster(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Peter J(dot) Holzer" <hjp-pgsql(at)hjp(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: glibc updarte 2.31 to 2.38
Date: 2024-09-21 19:19:32
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Peter,

> On 21 Sep 2024, at 00:33, Peter J. Holzer <hjp-pgsql(at)hjp(dot)at> wrote:
>
> I don't use SLES but I would expect it to have an RPM for it.
>
> If you have any test machine which you can upgrade before the production
> servers (and given the amount of data and availability requirements you
> have, I really hope you do) you should be set.

One of our admins did me a favor and upgraded my build server ahead of schedule. So I can both test our current PostgreSQL version as well as rebuild it if necessary.

I can't test all of our data. That'd take quite a few months or more. I just can try to identify some crucial databases and columns. When those tests are done, I can only pray and hope for the best.

I already expressed the idea of changing all locales to ICU. The problem there is that I'd have to create new instances and then move each database individually. I wish I could convert already running databases… This also takes time. Still, I think I'm going to try this route. It's always a gamble if reindexing is needed or not with any glibc change.

Cheers,
Paul